In 1870 the Episcopal Diocese of Western Michigan, the Grand Rapids and Indiana Railroad, and the Evangelical Church of Sweden collaborated in promoting Swedish immigration to Michigan. Through the efforts of the Reverend Josiah Tustin of Grand Rapids, about one thousand Swedes immigrated to west Michigan by 1872. Many settled in New Bleking, present-day Tustin. In 1872 they organized St. Johannes' Episcopal Church. On April 4, 1874, the Lutherans originally belonging to the Church of Sweden formed the Swedish Evangelical Lutheran Church. This building dates from 1882. The pressed metal interior, installed in 1921, remains remarkably intact.